Former Senegalese Minister for Renewable Energy
Louis Seck is the former Senegalese Minister for Renewable Energy. Currently, he is now Regional Coordinator of Climate Parliament for West and Central Africa with the Climate Parliament, and serves Consultant Director and General Manager of Ephata Global Energy and Environmental Consulting. As Minister for Renewable Energy, he implemented Senegalese policy in renewable energies and coordinated independent power producer (IPP) projects producing electricity and rural electrification from renewables. Louis has worked in the areas of environment and renewable energy since 1990. He graduated Universite Cheikh Anta Diop (Dakar, Senegal) with a Master’s degree in sciences in 1981 and from Universite des Sciences et Techniques du Languedoc (Montpelier, France) with a PHD in Geothermic (Renewable) Energies in in 1984. He also holds a Certificate in Management from Boston University’s program Kobe Japan.
Between 2005 and 2013, Louis served as:
- Consultant for the GTZ-Project on Renewable Energies in West Africa — “Strengthening Partnerships and Networks for Renewable and Sustainable Energies in Developing Countries” — working with Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau.
- Consultant of Project Impact Assessment Services with the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP)
- Member of the Consultants Team “Gender Audit Team In Politics, Programs, and Energetic Projects” in Senegal in cooperation with the NGOs, Energia and ENDA Tiers Monde.
- Member of the MICROGRID project (financed by the European Union’s COOPENER programme) for hybrid system conception for microsystems with renewable energies.
- National arrangement project consultant for the actualization, filing, compilation and greenhouse gas (GNG) inventories management; consultant at the second communication of Senegal on UN convention on climatic changes: responsible for GHG inventory section of the energy sector in Senegal.
- Member of Senegalese energetic information system project, SIE Senegal (responsible for biomass and renewable energies subsectors); member of the management and orientation committee of CRES- Energy
- President of Multisectorial Committee for the synergy between Energy and other Strategic Sectors for Poverty Reduction (CIMES/RP)
- Vice President of the Economical Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Regional Multi- Sectorial Committee on energetic services access